Marine science popularization and outreach are key to raise awareness among the communities and show that a healthy ocean is vital for the well-being of generations to come. The existing educational and outreach activities focused on in situ ocean observations are isolated and lack national and international visibility. The long-term goal is to create an open-access international ocean observation learning platform.
To achieve this goal, the Ocean Observers initiative established several objectives:
- reviewing the existing initiatives;
- favouring discussions and collaboration between participants in marine science outreach programs;
- engaging more schools, educators and private associations in ocean observing outreach activities;
- providing educators with marine science information adapted to their particular ecosystem, to better engage with local communities;
- providing scientists with tools and suggestions to share their results with the general public;
- federating a community around a coordinated project.